Thursday 28 February 2013

2013 / Term 2 Jan/Feb-

This new term has just been a continuation of this strange investigation of 'beauty'. Over Christmas I made a few more animations of the 3D figures and recorded the strange shadows cast from them. I have decided that I'm going to focus more upon my collage work for the rest of the term; hopefully bringing in hints of the 'puppetry' I am interested in.

Larry + Clown, 2012, H F M Jones

Stella, Oil on Board, 2013, H F M Jones
I considered painting from the figures and using images of them to keep a continuation of the 3D work in some form - it is still not a clear link between the two work forms for viewers. The example painting above of 'Stella'  was just a small study painting - visually it looks 'nice', but unless it was to be a realistic representation, the painting has no impact compared to the original object.

Why I must try out painting, films etc. within my practice is to create/feel an authenticity of the work. I source my material from photography, magazines - objects/materials which essentially have been created by someone else. I find myself questioning the work I make as to who has made it - myself ? Or the photographer, publishers etc. who have provided the image? Then there is the collective perception/view to consider; the images I select are 'beautiful' - how have we got to this conclusion of what is and isn't 'beautiful' ? To Be Continued...

Translating my 2D and 3D work into paint has not proved successful (again). The paintings lack the meticulous effort that was put into creating the orginals and lack the same quality. This could be down to poor technique or suitability.

Untitled (muddled collage), oil on paper, 2013, H F M Jones

No comments: