Thursday 16 May 2013

Last minute side project

Since getting the large print-outs made (previous post), I have considered what the collages would look like as billboard advertisements. Seeing the work in this way could bring about interesting questions about the context of the collage work.

I posted a few of my 'posters' around the Cardiff city centre area, trying to keep an eye on what happens to them - whether ripped off, covered, defaced etc.

A3 photocopy on Cardiff advertisement pod - H F M Jones, 2013.
 
x2 A2 photocopies on Cardiff advertisement pod - H F M Jones, 2013.
Partly just for fun at this point, I've made a 6x4ft billboard-type construction to just layer up large copies of the collages in both B+W and colour.

The first few layers were actually waxy paper, newspaper and fabriano paper before I was brave enough to start gluing down my own images.


 



Progression of image billboard - H F M Jones, 2013.

It got to a point where aesthetically I was pleased with it, but was concerned the piece did not link well to my original collages - due to the chaotic appearance of the board in comparison to the very controlled collages. The board was in a kind of limbo of finished/unfinished. After tutorials and peer chats, I've just stuck lots of material which isn't mine onto the board and other things e.g. tickets.

Continued image billboard - H F M Jones, 2013.

Ongoing image billboard - H F M Jones, 2013.


The piece could easily work as an interactive piece, where the viewer peals off sections to reveal my own images beneath the new junk.


No comments: