Saturday 3 November 2012

September - December 2011

Year 2 of my BA Hons Fine Art degree in CSAD - a quick overview of the first term.

Collage and painting were still waging war between one another to be the dominant process. From a technique point of view, collage won this time.

I painted from photographs that term, the results were poor. Fair enough really! I still didn't understand how to use oils which did not contribute positively. My collage took a detour from the usual time-shift imagery, but began to slowly introduce my interest in Gothic literature.

A four week project was given to us that term - pick an object/piece/film/whatever that does not directly relate to your practice area and respond to it. I chose a sculpture from The National Museum of Wales, Cardiff of the Greek/Roman character Perseus; famous for cutting the head of the Gorgon Medusa off! A beautiful bronze statue by Frederick W. Pomeroy, I couldn't resist cutting and twisting this image!


 
'Study of Perseus with The Head of Medusa' Graphite drawing collaged, (2011) H F M Jones
 
 
''Medusa  2011' Oil on paper + collage, (2011) H F M Jones
 
I wanted to try and combine painting and collage, but again this was not successful. I thought it was appropriate to practice painting for the rest of the term before considering further where my practice was going.
 
 
'Toy Clown' Oil and emulsion on cardboard, (2011) H F M Jones
 

 
'Amigo' Oil on canvas, palette knife (2011) H F M Jones

 
'Sean 1' Oil on paper, (2011) H F M Jones
 
So painting became frustrating; the subject matter always feels wrong when I paint. Naturally, I fell back into collage - an easier device to convey my thoughts at that point.


 
'Eighteen Oddities/Beauties' Collage, (2011) H F M Jones


No comments: